Bayern Going for Record 10th Consecutive Title
The Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund rivalry, nicknamed Der Klassiker, is the biggest in Germany and it’ll take on even more significance on Saturday. As we’ll see in this Bayern vs Dortmund betting preview, with just four matches remaining in the Bundesliga season, Bayern can clinch a record 10th consecutive title.
German Bundesliga betting odds have listed Bayern as heavy favorites to lift the trophy all season and they’re favored in their first opportunity to clinch on Saturday. After last week’s Champions League disappointment vs Villarreal, Bayern first-year manager Julian Nagelsmann will relish this opportunity to win some silverware.
- Matchup: Bayern Munich F.C. vs Borussia Dortmund
- Date and Time: Saturday, 3 p.m. ET
- Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
Bayern vs Dortmund Head-to-Head
- Dec 2021: Dortmund 2-3 Bayern
- Mar 2021: Bayern 4-2 Dortmund
- Nov 2020: Dortmund 2-3 Bayern
- May 2020: Dortmund 0-1 Bayern
- Nov 2019: Bayern 4-0 Dortmund
Der Klassiker hasn’t exactly been highly competitive as of late. Bayern vs Dortmund head-to-head standings have been dominated by Bayern recently as the Bavarians have won the last seven meetings in all competitions. Dortmund last defeated Bayern in the Bundesliga in 2018 and haven’t won a Bundesliga meeting at the Allianz since 2014.
Bayern Munich on Cusp of History
- Bundesliga Position: First, 72 pts
- Last Five: 3-0 W at Arminia, 1-0 W vs. Augsburg, 4-1 W at Freiburg, 4-0 W vs. Union Berlin, 1-1 D at Hoffenheim
- Injuries and suspensions: M Kingsley Coman (muscle injury), D Lucas Hernandez (muscle injury), M Corentin Tolisso (hamstring)
It’s been an excellent season domestically for Bayern, who still have the opportunity to break multiple records. The consecutive titles record looks all but secure, but if they’re also able to average over three goals in their last four matches, Bayern will break the record for most goals in a Bundesliga season.
Polish striker Robert Lewandowski is at the forefront of Bayern’s attack and he has an astounding 32 goals in 30 Bundesliga appearances this season. He’s rumored to be departing this summer, but he’s still playing at an incredibly high level. Back to front, Bayern are the best team in the Bundesliga and are nearing full strength as goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and left back Alphonso Davies have returned in recent weeks.
Injury Bug Bites Dortmund
- Bundesliga Position: Second, 63 pts
- Last Five: 6-1 W vs. Wolfsburg, 2-0 W at Stuttgart, 4-1 L vs. Leipzig, 1-1 D at Koln, 1-0 W at Mainz
- Injuries and suspensions: M Thorgan Hazard (back), D Raphael Guerreiro (bruise), Donyell Malen (tendon), M Mahmoud Dahoud (shoulder), D Mats Hummels (thigh), F Gio Reyna (tendon), M Steffen Tigges (ankle), D Thomas Meunier (hamstring)
It’s somewhat incredible that Borussia Dortmund are only nine points behind Bayern at this stage. They’ve dealt with crippling injury issues all season, including to star striker Erling Haaland. Haaland, who’s also rumored to be departing this summer, broke a five-game goal drought with a double in a 6-1 win over Wolfsburg last weekend.
Six starters could be out for this match, but Dortmund still have the potential to score goals with Haaland and Marco Reus. However, the last time Dortmund beat Bayern away from home, Lewandowski was still a Dortmund player. It’d take a huge effort to deny Bayern the title as a couple unproven players may feature here.
Bayern vs Dortmund Betting Preview
The last few meetings have all been thrillers and I’d expect more of the same in a high-stakes contest between two teams with world-class attacking talent. You’d expect both teams to get on the scoresheet here, but whether favorites Bayern will cover the 1½-goal spread is certainly up for debate.
It’d be a special scene in Munich if Bayern are able to win the title vs. their biggest rivals, and their stranglehold over German soccer is nearly unfair at this point.