D’Backs vs Brewers Series Preview: Brewers’ Playoff Hopes on Life Support
Anything Less Than a Sweep Could End Milwaukee's Playoff Hopes
- Arizona Hoping to Play Spoiler In Final Series of the 2022 season
- D'backs vs Brewers Game Information
- McCarthy Adds Some Excitement to Arizona's Lineup
- Pitching Woes Could Cost Brewers a Postseason Spot
- Who's Hot
- Who's Not
- D'backs vs Brewers Injury Update
- D'backs vs Brewers Head to Head
- D'backs vs Brewers Betting Preview
Arizona Hoping to Play Spoiler In Final Series of the 2022 season
It is now or never for the Milwaukee Brewers as they trail Philadelphia by two games for the last National League playoff spot with three games left to go. The Brewers dropped their last two games while Philadelphia won two in a row to put Milwaukee’s playoff chances in serious jeopardy. Milwaukee is obviously going with its best arms with Brandon Woodruff, Eric Lauer and Corbin Burnes due to pitch in the three games against Arizona. It is no wonder that the D’Backs vs Brewers Series Preview favors host Milwaukee.
The Brewers have the longest odds among the teams still in playoff contention to win the World Series as Milwaukee is priced at +25000.
The Brewers have the longest odds among the teams still in playoff contention, the Brewers world series odds is priced at +25000.
D’Backs vs Brewers Game Information
- Matchup: Diamondbacks 73-86 (fourth in the NL West) Brewers 84-75 (second in the NL Central)
- Location: American Family Field, Milwaukee
- Streaming: Live Stream Sports
McCarthy Adds Some Excitement to Arizona’s Lineup
While there will be no postseason for the Diamondbacks, a bright spot for Arizona has been the emergence of rookie outfielder Jake McCarthy.
McCarthy leads the major leagues with 21 stolen bases since play resumed following the MLB All-Star Game. He is hitting .318 with 35 runs, 10 doubles, two triples, five home runs and 34 RBIs so he is proving to be much more than just a threat on the base paths.
McCarthy is 10 of 19 with four runs, two RBIs and four stolen bases in his last four games.
McCarthy is one of five Arizona players with at least 10 at-bats who are hitting over .300 in the last five games. McCarthy leads the way at .391 followed by Josh Rojas (.368), Carson Kelly (.368), Geraldo Perdomo (.333) and Christian Walker (.304). Even with the strong way that Arizona is closing out the season, the D’Backs vs Brewers series preview is not trending in favor of the visiting Diamondbacks.
Pitching Woes Could Cost Brewers a Postseason Spot
Coming into the season with what many viewed as one of the best starting rotations in all of baseball to go with an elite bullpen; however, the inconsistent showing from proven pitchers could be what short circuits what was once a promising season.
Milwaukee was running neck and neck with the St. Louis Cardinals for the lead in the National League Central Division for much of the first half of the season.
Unfortunately for Brewers fans, the team is just 34-32 over the last 66 games as Milwaukee lost 9.5 games in the standings to St. Louis and 2.5 to Philadelphia. Even with those issues, the D’Backs vs Brewers series preview favors host Milwaukee. When looking at the MLB stats, the 3.86 team ERA in the second half of the season is in the middle of the pack.
Probable Pitching Matchups
- Monday: Tommy Henry (Diamondbacks) Brandon Woodruff (Brewers)
- Tuesday: Zac Gallen (Diamondbacks) Eric Lauer (Brewers)
- Wednesday: Merrill Kelly (Diamondbacks) Corbin Burnes (Brewers)
- Corbin Burnes, Brewers P: Burnes has given up eight hits in two runs over 14.1 innings in his last two starts.
- Zac Gallen, Diamondbacks P: Gallen has allowed two runs or less in nine of his last 10 starts.
- Jake McCarthy, Diamondbacks OF: McCarthy has at least two hits in three of his last four games.
- Luis Urias, Brewers 3B: Urias is batting .417 with two doubles and three runs scored in his last four contests.
- Willy Adames, Brewers SS: Adames is 4 for 28 with no extra-base hits and 13 strikeouts in his last six games.
- Merrill Kelly, Diamondbacks P: Kelly is 1-3 with a 6.25 ERA over his last five starts. He allowed eight runs and three home runs in 4.2 innings in his last outing.
- Pavin Smith, Diamondbacks OF: Smith is 3 for 16 with four strikeouts over his last four games.
- Justin Topa, Brewers P: Topa has allowed four hits and four runs in three innings of work over his last three appearances.
D’Backs vs Brewers Injury Update
Second baseman Ketel Marte was the latest Arizona player to be ruled out for the rest of the season as was third baseman Emmanuel Rivera.
For the Brewers, pitchers Adrian Houser (groin) and Luis Perdomo (calf) won’t be available in this series.
D’Backs vs Brewers Head to Head
Arizona has won three of the four matchups with the Brewers this season with all the games happening during a four-game series in early September.
The Brewers have won the last four home games against Arizona, although those contests took place in 2021.
The Brewers have won the last four home games against Arizona, although those contests took place in 2021. Just one of the last 19 games between the teams have been determined by one run.
Tyrone Taylor has two of Milwaukee’s four home runs against Arizona this season. Daulton Varsho has homered twice for Arizona against the Brewers
D’Backs vs Brewers Betting Preview
Arizona is slated to start Zac Gallen on Tuesday and he has been as hot as any pitcher in baseball in recent weeks, so the Brewers would be well advised to jump on unproven starter Tommy Henry in Monday’s opener.
The hope is that former Cy Young Award winner Corbin Burnes’ start on Wednesday will have playoff implications. Some of that will be determined by how the Phillies fare in the series against the American League-leading Houston Astros.
The total has gone over in four of Arizona’s last five games as well as on four of the last six road contests. However, the total has finished under in six of Milwaukee’s last seven games. The total for the series opener is 7.5 and with Woodruff going, taking the under might be the wise choice.
Looking for more information about the MLB season? Here’s more!
- Marlins vs Brewers Series Odds: Head to Head Betting
- Phillies vs Cubs Series Odds: Baseball Betting Preview
- Dodgers vs Padres Series Preview: MLB Betting Odds
- MLB Odds – Orioles vs Red Sox Betting Preview
- MLB Betting: Yankees vs Blue Jays Series Odds