NL West Rivals: Dodgers, Giants do Battle
After scoring more than four runs just once in the first seven games in the month of June, the Los Angeles Dodgers are coming off an 11-run outburst as they took a series from the host Chicago White Sox. It is no wonder that the Dodgers vs Giants series odds favor the visiting Dodgers.
Neither of the National League West rivals is bursting with confidence heading into a three-game weekend series. San Francisco is 5-5 through its last 10 games while the first-place Dodgers are 4-6 in the last 10 despite winning the last two.
Jakob Junis leads all Giants starting pitchers with a 2.51 earned run average. Walker Buehler of the Dodgers isn’t off to the best start of his career as he has a 3.54 ERA although he is 6-2. Buehler came into the season as one of the top candidates to win the National League Cy Young Award. Speaking of Cy Young candidates, Clayton Kershaw could return to the mound against the Giants in Sunday’s series finale. He hasn’t pitched since throwing seven scoreless innings on May 7.
The Dodgers (+450) have the best odds to win the World Series. The Giants (+2500) are tied for 10th. The Dodgers (-350) are the heavy favorites to win the NL West Division while San Francisco is well back at +1000.
Dodgers vs Giants Series Information
- Game: Giants 30-26 (third in the NL West) Dodgers 37-20 (first in the NL West).
- Location: Oracle Park, San Francisco
- Day/Time: Friday, 10:10 p.m. ET (the teams will also play Saturday at 7:15 p.m. ET and Sunday at 4:05 p.m.)
- Television: Saturday’s game is on FOX
Dodgers vs Giants Probable Pitchers
- Friday: Walker Buehler (Dodgers) Jakob Junis (Giants)
- Saturday: Julio Urias (Dodgers) TBA
- Sunday: Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers) Carlos Rodon (Giants)
Dodgers Offense Comes to Life
The return of a key hitter and a questionable decision by veteran Chicago White Sox manager Tony La Russa could be just what the Dodgers needed.
Max Muncy returned from the injured list and hit a game-changing home run in Thursday’s win over the Chicago White Sox. The turning point came after La Russa intentionally walked Trea Turner with a 1-2 count.
In some ways, perhaps the decision to put Turner on makes a little bit of sense. On a team with many hitters struggling to produce, Turner has a.348 average and an OPS mark of 1.009.
The Dodgers scored at least 10 runs four times in a span of 11 games last month, but Thursday’s game marked the first time in June that Los Angeles hit double digits in runs. The Dodgers vs Giants series odds point to some other strong outings for visiting Los Angeles.
Muncy had a double as well as his fourth homer of the season as he drove in five runs. Gavin Lux was 4 for 4 to register his third multi-hit game in the month of June. They have helped the Dodgers to first place in the NL West standings.
Cody Bellinger, Chris Taylor, Mookie Betts, Freddie Freeman, and Justin Turner are all hitting under .200 in the last six games. Freeman and Bellinger combined for four hits in the 11-9 win so maybe that will get them trending back in a positive direction.
Giants Searching for Consistency
When the San Francisco Giants are good, they tend to be very good. When they don’t have it going, it is a different story.
In victories, the Giants have a .273 team batting average and a slugging percentage of .482. The numbers fall to .203 and .294 in losses. The pitching numbers are also a little frightening with a 3.01 ERA in winning efforts compared to a 5.71 ERA in losses. Those numbers have something to do with the current Dodgers vs Giants series odds.
The Giants haven’t won back-to-back games since the end of May heading into a series when they are expected to face Cy Young Award candidates Walker Buehler and Clayton Kershaw. In between comes a matchup against Julio Urias who went 20-4 a season ago.
The Giants are 11-15 in games decided by two runs or less this season. They are 1-5 in games determined by three runs or less In the month of June and 2-0 in more lopsided affairs.
- Thairo Estrada, Giants IF: Estrada is hitting .278 with five runs scored and four RBIs over his last six games.
- Jakob Junis, Giants P: Junis allowed two hits and one run with eight strikeouts in six innings during his last start.
- Evan Phillips, Dodgers P: Phillips hasn’t allowed a run in his last five appearances. He has given up three hits and struck out seven in 5.2 innings.
- Trea Turner, Dodgers IF: Turner is 6 for 15 with two home runs, five runs scored and four driven in over the last four games.
- Mookie Betts, Dodgers OF: Betts has one hit in his last 19 at-bats as his average fell from .311 to .289.
- Curt Casali, Giants C: Casali is 2 for 13 with eight strikeouts over his last five games.
- Brusdar Graterol, Dodgers P: Graterol has given up five hits and six runs over four innings in his last four outings.
- Zack Littell, Giants P: Littell has allowed three hits and two runs over 3.1 innings in his last three appearances.
Eight Dodgers pitchers are already sidelined and now closer Craig Kimbrel is on paternity leave. Andrew Heaney could soon follow Kershaw as starting pitcher being activated by the Dodgers. Third baseman Edwin Rios (hamstring) is on the injured list.
For the Giants, first baseman Brandon Belt (knee), as well as outfielders Lamonte Wade Jr. (knee) and Steven Duggar (oblique), are on the injured list.
Dodgers vs Giants Betting Analysis
Buehler has a 6-1 career record against the Giants. In his last 10 starts against San Francisco, he has a 2.40 ERA with 62 strikeouts in 60 innings of work. That is a major reason why the Dodgers (-150) are favored in Friday’s opener. The series price is -190 for the Dodgers.
The Dodgers are second in the National League with an OPS of .756 in road games. They are one of two NL teams to win 20 games away from home this season. The Giants are just 14-13 at home.
The Dodgers won the only two games between the teams this season with San Francisco managing just two runs and being outscored 12-2 in those two games.
The teams met in the 2021 postseason with the Dodgers winning the last two games after falling behind 2-1 in the best-of-five game series. Only two of the last seven games between the teams had at least 10 combined runs. One of those games came in the most recent meeting, a 9-1 win by the Dodgers on May 4.
The home team has won five of the last six regular-season games between the teams.
The Giants are hitting .194 in two games against the Dodgers in 2022. Austin Slater, who was 2 for 3 in his lone appearance, is leading the way.
For the Dodgers, Betts is 3 for 7 against San Francisco after batting .212 in the regular season against the Giants in 2021.Follow us on Twitter