Phillies Can Eliminate the Reigning Champions With Pair of Home Wins
Braves vs Phillies Betting Odds Preview: The defending World Series champion Atlanta Braves regained momentum behind the pitching of Kyle Wright and a big sixth inning. Now the National League Division Series moves to Philadelphia for Games 3 and 4.
The Braves won some tough road games on their way to winning the title in 2021 and will need to win at least once in Philadelphia to have a chance to repeat as champions. The hitters look to get rolling in game 3 after pitching dominated in Wednesday’s MLB Divisional Series matchup.
The oblique injury that rookie pitcher Spencer Strider is dealing with could factor into which Atlanta pitcher gets the start on Friday while Aaron Nola will be getting the ball and the call for the Phillies.
The Braves are priced at -155 to win the series. Keep an eye on the Braves vs Phillies betting when a starting pitcher is named for the Braves.
Braves vs Phillies Game Information
Matchup: Braves 101-61 (1st, NL East) Phillies (87-75, 3rd, NL East)
Streaming: Live Stream Sports
Braves Display Championship Pedigree
Continuing Our Braves vs Phillies Betting Odds Preview: They don’t hand out World Series championships. If anybody needed a reminder of why the Atlanta Braves are the defending World Series champions, take a look at Game 2 in the NL Division Series. The Braves vs Phillies odds would look much different had the Phillies won Game 2.
Kyle Wright, a 21-game winner during the regular season, teams with three relievers on a three-hit shutout and he got all the offense he would need in a three-run sixth inning as Atlanta evened the best of five game series with a 3-0 win.
All four of Atlanta’s hits came from batters 1-5 as Matt Olson, Austin Riley and Travis d’Arnaud had two-out, RBI singles after the first two runners reached on a hit by pitch and walk.
There are questions about the availability of Spencer Strider being able to make his start in Game 3. If the hard-throwing rookie can’t go, veteran Charlie Morton figures to get the call.
Nola Looks to Help Phillies Reclaim Series Lead
Game 3 starter Austin Nola is 6-4 with a 3.53 ERA at home this season. Nola did allow 12 home runs in those 16 home starts with four of them coming in three starts at home against the Braves. The last time Nola faced the Braves, he allowed four hits and no runs with eight strikeouts in six innings in a 9-1 win.
The Phillies got what they were looking for by returning home with a split of the first two games played in Atlanta. The Phillies won seven more games at home than on the road during the regular season and if they win the next two games at Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia will be moving onto the NL Championship Series for the first time since 2010.
Game 3 starter Austin Nola is 6-4 with a 3.53 ERA at home this season. Nola did allow 12 home runs in those 16 home starts with four of them coming in three starts at home against the Braves. The last time Nola faced the Braves, he allowed four hits and no runs with eight strikeouts in six innings in a 9-1 win. Even with that, the Braves vs Phillies odds figure to lean in favor of the visiting Braves.
The Phillies are hitting just .195 as a team in the postseason and that impacts the Philadelphia Phillies game 3 odds. Kyle Schwarber and Rhys Hoskins are a combined 1 for 34 in four playoff games and that will need to change for the Phillies to have a chance to upset the defending champions.
- Bryce Harper, Phillies OF: Harper is 6 for 14 with three extra-base hits in the postseason.
- Raisel Iglesias, Braves P: Iglesias hasn’t allowed a run in his last seven appearances after pitching a scoreless inning on Wednesday. He has allowed five hits and struck out seven in seven innings over that stretch.
- Aaron Nola, Phillies P: Nola allowed four hits and no runs in 6.2 innings in his first playoff start in 2022.
- Matt Olson, Braves 1B: Olson is 3 for 6 with three runs, a home run and four RBIs in the first two games of the series.
- Jesse Chavez, Braves P: Chavez has allowed five hits and five runs in 1.2 innings of work in his last two appearances.
- Zach Eflin, Phillies P: Eflin has surrendered seven hits and four runs in three innings in three postseason outings in 2022.
- Michael Harris, Braves OF: Harris is hitless in seven at-bats in Games 1 and 2. He is 0 for 2 with runners in scoring position.
- Kyle Schwarber, Phillies OF: Schwarber is 0 for 16 with eight strikeouts in four playoff games.
Braves vs Phillies Injury Update
Phillies reliever Corey Knebel has been on the injured list since mid-August.
For the Braves, pitcher Spencer Strider has been dealing with an oblique issue. If he can’t make his start on Friday, the injury might be lingering a bit. It would be a big blow for Atlanta considering that Strider is 4-0 with a 1.27 ERA against the Phillies during the regular season.
Braves vs Phillies Head to Head
Concluding Our Braves vs Phillies Betting Odds Preview: The Braves won five of the last seven games against the Phillies during the regular season. Atlanta is 3-2 in one-run games against the Phillies this season. Overall, the Braves have won 12 of the 21 games in 2022 including the postseason.
The teams split the 10 games played in Philadelphia this year.
Alec Bohm led the Phillies’ regulars with a .342 batting average against the Braves during the regular season.
Austin Riley batted .353 and Dansby Swanson .333 against the Phillies.
Braves vs Phillies Betting Preview
The Braves had the third-best road record in the National League during the regular season.
The total has gone under in four of Atlanta’s last six road games, but it has gone over in six of the last eight times that the Braves played in Philadelphia.
Braves outfielder Ronald Acuna was injured in Game 2, but he is expected to play on Friday.
The Braves won at least one road game in each of its three series in 2021 en route to winning the World Series.Follow us on Twitter
Get into the field and play with more related info:
- AL Division Series Preview: Guardians vs Yankees Series Betting
- Mariners vs Astros Series Preview: Verlander Looks to Get Favored Astros Off and Rolling
- AL Wild Card Preview: Rays vs Guardians Series Odds
- NLWC: Padres vs Mets Series Betting Odds
- NLWC: Phillies vs Cardinals Series Betting