Status of Mets Ace deGrom Could Turn NL Playoff Series
This is not the time of the year that the New York Mets want to be dealing with uncertainty with former Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom. He did not pitch well in his last couple of starts and hasn’t been cleared yet to pitch in the series against San Diego. Even with a finger issue that deGrom is dealing with, the Padres vs Mets Series betting odds favor host New York.
The Mets are counting on the Max Scherzer-deGrom duo to get the Mets into a rematch with an Atlanta Braves team that soared past the Mets to win the NL East title.
The Mets have the best team batting average (.268) in the second half of the season while the Padres are only hitting .241 during that span.
When looking at the MLB standings National League, the Mets finished 12 games ahead of the Padres during the regular season. The Padres had a better record on the road than at home.
The MLB series odds list the Mets at -175 in the series price against the Padres. Buckle up, this years Wild Card race mlb 2022 has found its place and these games are going to be fantastic.
The MLB series odds list the Mets at -175 in the series price against the Padres.
Padres vs Mets Series Information
- Matchup: Padres 89-73 (second in the NL West) Mets 101-61 (second in the NL East) Location: Citi Field, Queens
- Date/Time: Game 1 , Game 2 is at and Game 3, if necessary, is at.
- TV: All the games in the series are on ESPN
- Streaming: Live Stream Sports
Bats Coming to Life For the Padres
It would have been hard for the San Diego Padres to live up to any of the expectations coming into the season unless they posted a record similar to what the Dodgers did. Not only did the Padres finish well back of the Dodgers in the NL West but the Padres vs Mets Series Betting Odds favor the host team.
Still, the star-studded Padres made it into the postseason and the offense might be getting hot at the perfect time. San Diego has 12 doubles and six home runs over the last seven games. Wil Myers and Jake Cronenworth are leading the way. Myers has two home runs and five RBIs and Cronenworth five extra-base hits and five RBIs during that time.
Mets to Rely on Cy Young Award Winners
The Mets don’t have much time to respond after a late-season tailspin resulted in the Atlanta Braves winning the NL East. Instead of not having to play in the wild-card round, the Mets will need to eliminate a Padres team that was a popular pick to win it all coming into the season.
From the time Max Scherzer joined the Mets, this was the time of the year that the duo of Scherzer and Jacob deGrom will make the Mets tough to beat.
Getting New York in a best of three series might work better than a seven-game series with the two former Cy Young Award winners only getting one start each.
Scherzer and deGrom combined to allow five home runs in their last starts so they will need to clean some things up now that the postseason is here.
Keep an eye on deGrom as he is dealing with a blister on his finger. Right now the Padres vs Mets Series Betting Odds are in favor of host New York. If deGrom can’t go, that could change.
Probable Pitching Matchups
Friday: Yu Darvish (Padres) Max Scherzer (Mets)
- Edwin Diaz, Mets P: Diaz hasn’t allowed a run over his last seven appearances. He has allowed three hits with 16 strikeouts over eight innings during that stretch.
- Josh Hader, Padres P: It’s been a tough season for one of the most dominant relievers in baseball. He seems to have figured things out as he hasn’t allowed an earned run over his last five appearances.
- Ha-Seong Kim, Padres IF: Kim is 6 for 17 with two extra-base hits and two stolen bases in his last five games.
- Jeff McNeil, Mets IF: McNeil was 10 of 21 with three extra-base hits and no strikeouts over his last six games as he won the National League batting title.
- Jacob deGrom, Mets P: In his last two starts, deGrom has allowed 11 hits, including four home runs, and eight runs over 10 innings.
- Trent Grisham, Padres OF: Grisham is 3 for 15 with one extra-base hit and nine strikeouts in his last six games.
- Francisco Lindor, Mets SS: Lindor is 4 for 21 with seven strikeouts over his last six games.
- Nick Martinez, Padres P: Martinez has allowed six hits and five runs with five walks in 5.2 innings over his last seven outings.
Padres vs Mets Injury Update
When looking at the MLB injury report, pitcher Mike Clevinger (illness) won’t be available in this series. He joins pitchers Drew Pomeranz, Austin Adams and shortstop Fernando Tatis as players who won’t take part in the matchup with the Mets.
For the Mets, outfielder Starling Marte (finger), first baseman Darin Ruf (neck) and infiedler Brett Baty (thumb) are on the injured list.
Padres vs Mets Head to Head
The Padres had won four games in a row before the Mets took the most recent meeting 8-5 back in July.
Four of the last seven games between the teams have had at least 10 runs.
The Padres took two of three at Citi Field in the most recent series.
Pete Alonso hit .500 with three extra-base hits against the Padres this season while Jurickson Profar led the Padres with a .364 average against the Mets.
Padres vs Mets Betting Preview
While this is a series where the hitters often have the upper hand, there are too many quality starting pitchers with previous postseason experience to expect that to continue.
The Mets will miss veteran outfielder Starling Marte as he won’t be able to go in this series.
The total for the series opener is 6, the lowest of the four wild-card series openers.
The Mets are 81-41 when listed as the favorite, while the Padres are 23-23 as an underdog.
The total has gone under in six of San Diego’s last nine games against NL East teams while the total has gone over in nine of the last 11 games for the Mets.
Get the feel of sports & betting with these other articles:
- Phillies vs Astros Betting Odds Preview: Phillies Digging for Wild Card
- D’Backs vs Brewers Series Preview: Brewers’ Playoff Hopes on Life Support
- Rays vs Astros Series Odds: Baseball Betting Preview
- Mets vs Braves Series Preview: NL East Crown Still Up for Grabs
- Marlins vs Brewers Series Odds: Head to Head Betting