Padres vs Phillies Betting Preview: Pitching Depth On Display in Game 4 Matchup
Phillies Looking to Go Up 3-1 in NL Championship Series
The ace pitchers will be waiting to return to the mound when the series returns to San Diego for Game 5. However, in Saturday’s Game 4 it will be Mike Clevinger getting the start for the Padres with Bailey Falter getting the ball for the Phillies. Neither team has an advantage in the Padres vs Phillies Betting Preview.
Clevinger allowed six hits and five runs in 2.2 innings in his only other appearance in this year’s playoffs. This will be the postseason debut for Falter as he hasn’t pitched since throwing a scoreless inning in an Oct. 5 loss to Houston.
The game is currently listed as a Pick’em and it could ultimately come down to the bullpens.
When looking at the Padres odds to win the World Series, the price is currently at +550 compared to +250 for Philadelphia.
Game: Padres 89-73 Phillies 87-75
Date & Time:
Streaming: Live Stream Sports
Padres vs Phillies Probable Pitchers
- Saturday: Mike Clevinger (Padres) Bailey Falter (Phillies)
Padres Need Some Clutch Hits
In the two losses in this series, the Padres are 0 for 9 with runners in scoring position and that included going 0 for 7 in Friday’s 4-2 loss.
Errors led to both of San Diego’s runs scoring. When looking at the Padres vs Phillies betting preview, San Diego can’t rely on Philadelphia miscues for its offense.
Josh Bell, who leads San Diego with four hits in the series, grounded into a double play to end the sixth inning.
The Padres led off the seventh, eighth and ninth innings with singles and then were retired in order. San Diego hitters had five strikeouts in the last three innings and didn’t hit a ball out of the infield in the final nine outs recorded.
Youngsters Deliver for Phillies
The Philadelphia lineup is led by veterans Bryce Harper, Kyle Schwarber, J.T. Realmuto and Nick Castellanos.
However, in the pivotal Game 3 win, it was 26-year-old third baseman Alec Bohm and 25-year-old shortstop Bryson Stott, who combined for four of the team’s nine hits. When looking at the Padres vs Phillies betting preview, the jury is still out if the two players can continue to produce in their first postseason.
With the game tied 1-1 in the fourth inning, Bohm singled with two outs and Stott followed with a double. Jean Segura followed with a single that drove both of them in.
Then in the sixth inning, Bohm knocked San Diego starter Joe Musgrove out of the game with a two-out RBI double to make it a 4-2 game.
- Seranthony Dominguez, Phillies P: Dominguez has allowed two hits and no runs with 13 strikeouts and no walks in 6.2 innings in the playoffs.
- Brandon Drury, Padres 1B: Drury is 4 for 8 with a home run and three RBIs in the series.
- Luis Garcia, Padres P: Garcia has allowed one hit and no runs with three strikeouts in three innings in three postseason appearances.
- Kyle Schwarber, Phillies OF: Schwarber is 4 for 10 with two home runs, two walks, three RBIs and two runs scored in the series.
- Trent Grisham, Padres OF: Grisham is 0 for 11 with five strikeouts in the first three games against the Phillies.
- Rhys Hoskins, Phillies 1B: Hoskins is 1 for 11 with five strikeouts in this series. His lone hit was a home run.
- Adrian Morejon, Padres P: Morejon allowed two hits and four runs with two walks without retiring a batter in his lone appearance in this year’s playoffs.
- David Robertson, Phillies P: In his lone appearance in the series, Robertson allowed three hits and one run while retiring just two batters.
Phillies vs Padres Head to Head
The Phillies are 10-6 against the Padres since the start of the 2021 season.
While there has been just one game decided by one run over the last 14 meetings, five of the last eight games have been decided by two runs.
San Diego did win two of the three games in Philadelphia during the regular season.
Phillies vs Padres Injury Update
The Padres continue to play without pitchers Austin Adams and Drew Pomeranz, who suffered season-ending forearm injuries and infielder Fernando Tatis Jr. as he missed the entire season with a wrist injury.
Five Phillies pitchers are out with the most recent injuries suffered by Corey Knebel (shoulder), Mark Appel (elbow) and Kent Emanuel (shoulder).
Padres vs Phillies Betting Preview
This isn’t a must win for the Padres, however, a win on Saturday would even the series and make it a best two out of three with two of those games hosted by the Padres.
Other than a wild Game 2 when the starting pitchers combined to surrender 12 hits and 10 runs, the series has been dominated by pitching. The Phillies used two home runs and a double to account for four of the six runs in Game 1 and 3 wins.
The total has gone over in nine of San Diego’s last 13 games as well as in six of the last eight road contests. The total has also gone over in five of Philadelphia’s last six games at home.
The total is 8.5 in Saturday’s game.
When looking at the 2022 MLB records, San Diego had the fourth-best road record in the National League during the MLB regular season.