- Plenty of Power Hitters Set to Shine in American League Championship Series
- Yankees vs Astros Probable Pitchers
- Yankees Dial Long Distance to Eliminate Guardians
- Well-rested Verlander Ready to Roll for Astros
- Who's Hot
- Who's Not
- Yankees vs Astros Head to Head
- Yankees vs Astros Injury Update
- Yankees vs Astros Betting Preview
Plenty of Power Hitters Set to Shine in ALCS
The Yankees (+165) are seeking to reach the World Series for the first time since 2009. The Houston Astros standings at the end of the season left no doubt in fans and bettors minds; they are once again the real deal.
Yankees vs Astros Series Odds Preview: While the three division champions were eliminated in the National League, the two best teams in the AL are set to meet with a spot in the World Series on the line.
The Yankees bullpen saved their best for last as they shook off some struggles early in the AL Division Series to shut down Cleveland in the series clincher. However, the issues that came up against Cleveland could resurface. There is just one off day in the series and that comes between Game 2 and 3 when the series shifts to New York.
The Yankees, who open the series on the road, had the best home record in the American League, finishing two games ahead of Houston. The Astros posted the best road mark in the AL.
The Astros are listed at -185 to win the AL Championship Series as they look to reach the World Series for the fourth time in the last six years. The Yankees (+165) are seeking to reach the World Series for the first time since 2009. The Houston Astros standings at the end of the season left no doubt in fans and bettors minds; they are once again the real deal.
Yankees vs Astros Series Information
- Matchup: Yankees 99-63 Astros 106-56
- Date, time: Game 1 is
- Streaming: Live Stream Sports
Yankees vs Astros Probable Pitchers
Wednesday: Jameson Taillon (Yankees) Justin Verlander (Astros)
Yankees Dial Long Distance to Eliminate Guardians
Continuing Our Yankees vs Astros Series Odds Preview: With their season on the line, the Yankees resorted to what they do best – hit home runs.
Giancarlo Stanton had a three-run home run in the first inning and MLB home run leader Aaron Judge added a solo shot in the second inning to give the Yankees the early four-run lead.
The Yankees only scored one more run thanks to a fifth-inning single by Anthony Rizzo. That was enough as the Cleveland Guardians were 0 for 6 with runners in scoring position.
The much-maligned Yankees bullpen scattered five hits over four scoreless innings after Nestor Cortes allowed five hits and one run in five innings.
Well-Rested Verlander Ready to Roll for Astros
Justin Verlander, the likely American League Cy Young Award winner, hasn’t pitched since Oct. 11. It was not a performance that he will want to revisit.
Verlander gave up 10 hits and six runs in four innings in the series opener against the Mariners. He did not factor in the decision as the Astros won the game 8-7.
He wasn’t needed to make a second start in the series with Houston sweeping the Mariners.
In Verlander’s only start against the Yankees during the regular season, he allowed four hits and one run in seven innings in a 3-1 win on June 24.
Verlander is just 14-11 in his postseason career.
- Yordan Alvarez, Astros OF: Alvarez only had four hits in the three games against the Mariners. One was a double and he had two home runs, including a walk-off shot as he drove in seven runs.
- Luis Garcia, Astros P: Garcia allowed two hits and no runs in five innings of work in the AL Division Series.
- Jonathan Loaisiga, Yankees P: Loaisiga hasn’t allowed a run in his last seven appearances, allowing nine hits over 7.2 innings of work.
- Anthony Rizzo, Yankees 1B: Rizzo had three hits and two RBIs in the last two games in the series against Cleveland.
- Jose Altuve, Astros 2B: Altuve is 0 for 16 with six strikeouts in the postseason.
- Oswaldo Cabrera, Yankees OF: Cabrera was 2 of 19 with 10 strikeouts in the AL Division Series.
- Luis Severino, Yankees P: Severino gave up eight hits over 5.2 innings in his only previous postseason appearance in 2022.
- Justin Verlander, Astros P: Verlander matched his season-high with 10 hits allowed in the playoff opener.
Yankees vs Astros Head to Head
The Astros won five of the seven games during the regular season and that includes the last three contests. Four of the seven matchups have been decided by two runs or less. The MLB betting lines can be found right here throughout the playoffs.
Houston was 3-0 at home against the Yankees during the regular season.
Game 1 starter Jameson Taillon gave up 10 hits and six runs in 5.2 innings in his only appearance against the Astros during the regular season.
Giancarlo Stanton has three of the 10 home runs the Yankees hit against the Astros.
Alex Bregman and Yordan Alvarez combined for three doubles, four home runs and 13 RBIs against the Yankees.
Yankees vs Astros Injury Update
New York infielder DJ LeMahieu (toe) is questionable. Outfielder Aaron Hicks (knee) has been ruled out for the rest of the postseason. The Yankees are also without relievers Zach Britton, Michael King and Chad Green. Ron Marinaccio (leg) could return for the ALCS.
The Astros are in pretty good shape injury-wise.
Yankees vs Astros Betting Preview
Concluding Our Yankees vs Astros Series Odds Preview: It is hard to pick against Justin Verlander in the series opener, especially with Jameson Taillon set to oppose him.
With the Astros sweeping the Mariners, the pitching staff should be well rested.
Jonathan Loaisiga pitched two innings with Clay Holmes and Wandy Peralta so it remains to be seen how that impacts their roles early in the series. Also, Nestor Cortes was pressed into a starting spot in Game 5 against Cleveland instead of being ready when the ALCS begins.
Houston is just 39-45 against the spread at home this season while the Yankees have a 45-37 record against the spread in road games.
The total has gone under in five of the last seven games for the Yankees as well as in six of the last games played by the Astros. The total is set at seven in the opener.
Want more articles like this? Check these out:
- 2022 MLB Playoffs- Guardians vs Yankees Game 5 Odds
- Astros vs Mariners Betting Preview: Can Álvarez Break the Hearts of Mariners Fans Again?
- NLDS – Braves vs Phillies Betting Odds: Game 3 Who Wants it More?
- Dodgers vs Padres Series Odds: Padres Return Home On Winning Note
- ALDS Game 2 Betting: Yankees vs Guardians Series Preview