- Red Sox go after their fifth straight win at home
- Yankees vs Red Sox Game Information
- Some good news for the Yankees
- Devers could be ready to dial long distance for the Red Sox
- Probable Starting Pitchers
- Who's Hot
- Who's Not
- Yankees vs Red Sox Injury Update
- Yankees vs Red Sox Head-to-Head
- Yankees vs Red Sox Betting Preview
Red Sox Looking for Fifth Consecutive Win at Home
It will be a MLB rare two-game set between bitter rivals when the New York Yankees make their way to Fenway Park to meet the Red Sox.
It has been a tough season for the Red Sox. On the bright side for Sox fans, Boston has won its last four games at home and has scored 28 runs in those contests. That surge put the Red Sox above .500 at home this season. Still, the Yankees vs Red Sox series odds favor the visiting Yankees.
Boston’s home record of 35-34 is identical to the road record for the Yankees.
When looking at the Yankees standings 2022, New York has won back-to-back games and led Toronto by 5.5 games and Tampa Bay by six games in the AL East. New York needs to keep winning to avoid having to concern themselves with the wild card race MLB 2022.
The Yankees (+550) have the fourth-best odds to win the World Series. It could take some searching to find Boston’s championship odds.
Yankees vs Red Sox Game Information
- Matchup: Yankees 85-56 (first in the AL East) Red Sox 69-72 (fifth in the AL East)
- Location: Fenway Park, Boston
Some Good News for Yankees
Don’t take a look at the injury list for the Yankees unless you don’t have any other plans for a while. However, there is some good news as player Jose Trevino should be eligible to return as he comes off the paternity list. He leads the Yankees who are available to play with a .345 average against the Red Sox this season.
With Trevino returning and Giancarlo Stanton homered in each of the last two games, reinforcements are slowly starting to arrive as the Yankees try to hold onto first place in the AL East. The Yankees vs Red Sox series odds are in the favor of visiting New York.
Devers Could be Ready to Dial Long-Distance for Red Sox
Rafael Devers has just one home run in his last 23 games; however, six of his 26 long balls in 2022 have come against the Yankees so there might not be a player happier to see the first-place Yankees roll into town than the Boston third baseman.
Devers is hitting .333 in September. The splits are a little scary though, he is 0 for 9 in the three losses and 11 for 24 in the six wins in September. Even with Devers ready to torment New York pitchers, the Yankees vs Red Sox odds are not in favor of the host Red Sox.
Even with the strong showing in September, Devers and the Red Sox have some work to do to avoid finishing in last place in the AL East as Boston is 4.5 games behind fourth-place Baltimore.
Probable Starting Pitchers
- Tuesday: Gerrit Cole (Yankees) Nick Pivetta (Red Sox)
- Wednesday: Frankie Montas (Yankees) Brayan Bello (Red Sox)
- Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox SS: Bogaerts has at least two hits in 12 of his last 16 games. In September he is hitting .471 with 10 runs scored in nine games.
- Aaron Judge, Yankees OF: Judge is 9 for 21 with four runs scored, four RBIs, and a home run over his last six games.
- Nick Pivetta, Red Sox P: Pivetta has allowed six hits and one run over eight innings in his last two appearances.
- Clarke Schmidt, Yankees P: Schmidt has allowed three hits and no runs in his last two appearances. He has six strikeouts in five innings during that stretch.
- Eduard Bazardo, Red Sox P: Bazardo has given up five hits and four runs in five innings in the four games since making his season debut earlier this month.
- Triston Casas, Red Sox 1B: Casas is 1 for 17 with eight strikeouts over his last six games. The lone hit was a home run.
- Marwin Gonzalez, Yankees IF: Gonzalez has two hits in 19 at-bats over the last six games.
- Frankie Montas, Yankees P: Montas failed to get through the sixth inning in his last start. He allowed nine hits and four runs in 5.2 innings. He also walked four in the 4-2 loss to Tampa Bay.
Yankees vs Red Sox Injury Update
When looking at the MLB injury list, Yankees second baseman DJ Lemahieu (toe) is questionable. Outfielder Harrison Bader (foot), pitchers Zack Britton (elbow), Miguel Castro (shoulder), Aroldis Chapman (infection), Stephen Ridings (shoulder), and Scott Effross (shoulder) could return by late September. Pitcher Albert Abreu (elbow), outfielder Andrew Benintendi (wrist), and first baseman Anthony Rizzo (back).
For the Red Sox, infielder Trevor Story (heel) is questionable, outfielder Frenchy Cordero (ankle), pitcher Kutter Crawford (shoulder), and first baseman Eric Hosmer (back) are out indefinitely.
Yankees vs Red Sox Head-to-Head
The Yankees won four of the first five games against the rival Red Sox in 2022, but Boston has taken five of the last eight meetings.
It has been a strange season series with eight of the 13 games decided by two runs or less. There have been games decided by 13 and 11 runs on back-to-back days.
Yankees vs Red Sox Betting Preview
The pitching matchup between Cole and Pivetta could be a solid one as both pitchers are coming off strong outings; however, the hitters figure to have the advantage in Wednesday’s contest.
It is hard to know what to make out of the trends with the Yankees as five of the last six games for New York have finished over the total while seven of the last nine road games ended up going under the total.
The Red Sox have won four of the last five home games against the Yankees. The Yankees are favored in Tuesday’s series opener.Follow us on Twitter