NHL Thursday Games Odds: March 16th, 2023
Huge Slate of High Scoring Action on Thursday
NHL NIGHT IN REVIEW: March 16th, 2023
The National Hockey League saw a combined total of 69 goals on Thursday night amongst the eleven contests played, NHL Thursday games odds saw a wide variance of results for the bettors and the sportsbooks. Let’s take a look at last night’s NHL scores games in a quick recap.
The Florida Panthers put up a season-high nine goals on the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night in a 9-5 contest that saw ten total goals scored in the first 13 minutes of the game. Montreal defenseman Mike Matheson scored the opening tally just 16 seconds into the contest, before Florida’s Colin White answered back two minutes later. Florida’s seven goals in the first period set a franchise record for the most goals scored in an opening period. Forward Brady Tkachuk scored a goal and three assists while Carter Verhaeghe and defenseman Aaron Ekblad each scored a pair of goals. Both Canadiens goaltenders, Sam Montembeault and Jake Allen, each saw extensive time in the contest, with Montembeault making 21 saves on 24 shots faced while Allen stopped 12 of the 18 shots he faced.
Forward Chris Kreider scored the game-winning goal midway through the third period and a late empty-net tally to seal a 4-2 victory at home for the New York Rangers over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday evening. Forward Mika Zibanejad scored a goal and an assist while Patrick Kane picked up another assist, his third point in the last two games. Goaltender Igor Shesterkin made 27 saves on 29 shots for the victory, while his counterpart Tristan Jarry stopped 31 of 33 shots faced in the losing effort. These two clubs play again in New York on Saturday night, their third meeting against one another in less than a week. The Penguins beat New York 3-2 in a shootout last Sunday in Pittsburgh.
The Tampa Bay Lightning pick up their second victory in three days over the New Jersey Devils, this time winning 4-3 in a shootout. Forward Steven Stamkos returned to the starting lineup scored two goals and an assist. He was listed as a game-time decision after missing Tuesday’s contest in Newark. Goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy made 32 saves on 35 shots faced in regulation and overtime, along with two stops in the shootout to record his 31st victory of the season. Despite the loss, New Jersey has earned at least one point in six of their last eight games overall. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay has alternated wins and losses over their last six games. These two clubs will face-off once again on Sunday night down in Tampa Bay.
The Colorado Avalanche outlast the Ottawa Senators in a high-scoring 5-4 affair as short road favorites on Thursday night. Forward Mikko Rantanen had a goal and two assists, along with Nathan MacKinnon chipping in three assists and defenseman Cale Makar scoring a goal and an assists. Backup netminder Jonas Johansson made 32 saves on 36 shots faced for the victory, which now marks four straight wins for Colorado. Winger Drake Batherson scored his 20th goal of the season for Ottawa, who now have dropped four consecutive games and with 70 points, they trail the New York Islanders by eight points for the second and final Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
Other News & Notes Around The League
- Goaltender Jeremy Swayman made 36 saves for his third shutout of this season and eighth of his career as the Boston Bruins win again, beating the Winnipeg Jets 3-0 as moderate road favorites. Forward Pavel Zacha scored his 18th goal of the season. It’s the forth point in the last three games for the 25-year old Czechia native. Boston has now snapped a two-game losing streak and have only lost three or more consecutive games once this season. Meanwhile, the Jets have dropped nine of their last twelve games overall.
- The Chicago Blackhawks pick up a 2-1 road victory against their Central Division rivals, the Nashville Predators. Forward Joey Anderson scored his second goal in as many games while young winger Lukas Reichel scored his third goal of the season. Goaltender Alex Stalock made 35 saves on 36 shots faced, with his shutout bid ending on a Roman Josi shot with less than 30 seconds left in the contest. Nashville had their three-game winning streak snapped and are currently sitting four points behind the Winnipeg Jets for the second and final Wild Card spot in the Western Conference, and now are a point behind the Calgary Flames, who won later in the evening.
- Forward Mattias Janmark scored a pair of goals while superstar Connor McDavid netted his 57th goal of the season as the Edmonton Oilers beat the Dallas Stars 4-1 as home favorites. Goalie Stuart Skinner made 25 saves on 26 shots faced for his 21st victory of the year. The Oilers have now won four of their last five games and sit five points behind the Los Angeles Kings for second place in the Pacific Division. which would designate who has home-ice advantage in the First Round matchup of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Veteran winger Tyler Toffoli scored two goals and two assists in the Calgary Flames’ 7-2 road victory over the Vegas Golden Knights in a pivotal Pacific Division battle. Goalie Jacob Markstrom picked up the win, making 17 saves on 19 shots faced. Forward Blake Coleman also scored a pair of goals while Rasmus Andersson and Elias Lindholm each recorded two assists for Calgary, who now leaped over the Nashville Predators, who lost in regulation, in the Western Conference playoff race with 76 points. The Flames still trail the Winnipeg Jets by three points for the final Wild Card spot.
- Forward Tyler Boyd scored twice to give the Arizona Coyotes a 3-2 home win over the Vancouver Canucks. Rookie winger Matias Maccelli recorded his 32nd assist on the year, which leads the league in assists by a first-year skater. Third string goalie Ivan Prosvetov made 29 saves on 31 shots faced for his second win of the season.
- The Los Angeles Kings continue to earn points and climb towards the top of the Pacific Division with a 4-1 home win over the Columbus Blue Jackets. Goalie Pheonix Copley made 30 saves over 31 shots faced for his 21st victory of the year. Forward Anze Kopitar scored his 26th goal this season one of the four goals scored by Los Angeles in the second period. The Kings have now earned at least one point in eight consecutive contests.
Check out all the updated National Hockey League NHL Scores and Odds, lineups, future odds, team stats, recent news, picks and parlays and tips and NHL betting lines, right here at Point Spreads.
Follow us on Twitter