NHL Weekend Games Recap: February 25th & 26th, 2023
More Goals and Blowouts from the Weekend
NHL NIGHT IN REVIEW: Weekend of February 25th & 26th, 2023
It was yet again another jammed packed weekend of action in the National Hockey League with 13 games on Saturday and six on Sunday, NHL Weekend games recap saw a variety of interesting results for bettors. Let’s take a quick look into this weekend’s NHL scores games in review.
The Washington Capitals snap a six-game losing streak with a 6-3 Saturday matinee home win over the New York Rangers as +130 underdogs. Forward T.J. Oshie picked up a “Gordie Howe Hat Trick”, recording a goal, an assist and a fighting major to get his team fired up early in the contest. Evgeny Kuznetsov scored two goals and two assists and Alex Ovechkin, who is playing his second game since the tragic sudden loss of his father, returns to the scoresheet with a pair of assists. Goalie Darcy Kuemper made 23 saves over 26 shots faced for his 18th win of the season and now brings his career record against the New York Rangers to 8-1. The Blueshirts now have lost three consecutive games after their seven-game win streak ended last weekend.
The Chicago Blackhawks have now won five consecutive games in a row after picking up a 4-3 shootout victory over the San Jose Sharks late Saturday night as +185 road underdogs. Chicago opened the scoring thanks to new forward David Gust. The Orland Park, Illinois native scored his first National Hockey League goal two minutes into the game. Brett Senay, another call-up from the Rockford Icehogs of the AHL, scored his first goal of the year, and forward Max Domi picked up his 18th goal of the season — as his line was without star winger Patrick Kane, who returned to Chicago before the game to take time and figure out where he might be heading via trade before March 3rd’s deadline.
Goaltender Petr Mrazek made 45 saves on 48 shots in Regulation & Overtime, then three more saves in the shootout to secure the victory, and also picked up an assist on Domi’s goal. Defenseman Erik Karlsson scored his 19th goal while Nico Sturm chipped in two assists for San Jose. The Sharks have now lost six of their last eight games overall.
Forward Bryan Rust scored the game winning goal 75 seconds into overtime to give the Pittsburgh Penguins a 3-2 road win over the St. Louis Blues on Saturday afternoon. The Penguins snapped a four-game losing streak with that victory, led by Tristan Jarry, who made 25 saves on 27 shots faced. His counterpart, Jordan Binnington, made 45 saves on 48 shots faced despite the losing effort. St. Louis has now lost five straight games, while being outscored by a 21-8 mark during that span. Defenseman Justin Faulk scored a goal and an assist for the Blues.
The Minnesota Wild pick up another crucial two points at home thanks to a Hat Trick from forward Kirill Kaprizov as they put away the Columbus Blue Jackets in overtime by a score of 3-2 as large home favorites. Marc-Andre Fleury made 22 saves on 24 shots faced for his 18th victory of the season. The Wild now move within two points of the Dallas Stars for the top spot in the Central Division National Hockey League Standings, with Minnesota winning four of their last five games and earning at least a point in eight of their last nine contests overall.
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ offense exploded for five goals in a span of over four minutes in the second period en route to a 7-3 demolishing of the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday afternoon, who have now lost five of their last six games. Forwards Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and defenseman Brian Dumoulin each had a goal and an assists for the Pens, who have now won back-to-back games after a four-game losing streak. Goalie Brian Elliott made 29 saves on 36 shots faced in the losing effort for Tampa Bay.
The New York Rangers pick up a 5-2 home victory on Sunday evening over the Los Angeles Kings, who continue their road trip out on the East Coast. Forward Vincent Trocheck scored two goals and an assist, while Mika Zibanejad scored his 31st goal of the season on the power-play and Artemi Panarin notched a goal and an assist. Goaltender Igor Shesterkin made 26 saves on 28 shots faced to record his 26th victory on the season for the Rangers, who snapped a four-game losing streak and have now earned at least one point in nine of their last twelve games overall.
Forward Dylan Cozens scores a Hat Trick to give the Buffalo Sabres a 7-4 blowout victory on the road as short favorites against the Washington Capitals. Cozens also picked up an assist on Vinnie Hinostroza’s first goal of the season, one of four that was scored by the Sabres in the second period. Forwards Casey Mittelstadt and Jack Quinn each picked up two assists and Tage Thompson scored his 40th goal of the year. Capitals star Alex Ovechkin scored his 33rd goal of the season, his 813th goal of his career and the first tally since the passing of his father. Washington has now lost seven of their last eight games overall, while Buffalo has won three straight games and five of their last six overall.
Other News & Notes Around The League
- Forward Roope Hintz scored for the Dallas Stars with 38 seconds left in regulation as they would come back to beat the Vegas Golden Knights 3-2 in a shootout on the road at T-Mobile Arena. Goaltender Jake Oettinger made 41 saves on 43 shots faced in regulation and overtime for his 25th victory of the season. With the win, Dallas snaps a five-game losing streak. Jack Eichel scored his 20th goal of the year for the Golden Knights.
- Goalie John Gibson turned in a masterpiece performance between the pipes on Saturday, making 51 saves on 53 shots faced as the Anaheim Ducks upset the Carolina Hurricanes 3-2 as road underdogs. Anaheim fired off just 18 shots on goal, with forward Troy Terry scoring the game-winner, his 15th goal of the season. Forwards Ryan Strome and Trevor Zegras each picked up a pair of assists.
- The Colorado Avalanche picked up a 4-1 home victory over the Calgary Flames on Saturday night. Forward Valeri Nichushkin recorded two assists while Mikko Rantanen scored in his fourth consecutive game, bringing his season total in goals to 38. Calgary has now lost five of their last seven games.
- Goalie Semyon Varlamov made 23 saves as the New York Islanders shutout the Winnipeg Jets 4-0 on Sunday afternoon. Forward Bo Horvat scored a short-handed goal, his 36th tally on the season. Brock Nelson, Adam Pelech and Alexander Romanov also scored for the Islanders. Winnipeg has now lost three games in a row.
This Concludes our National Hockey League Weekend Recap. Check out all the updated NHL Standings 2022-23, lineups, future odds, team stats, recent news, picks parlays and betting tips, right here at Point Spreads.
Follow us on Twitter
Can’t get enough? Here’s more!
- NHL Trade Deadline Rankings: Top Teams to Make a Run as Buyers
- Power Play Handicapping: The Hidden Impact of NHL Referees on Betting
- NHL Matchups Report for Tuesday: Public Reams Vegas, Again!
- NHL Games Review: NHL’s Shot Callers for February 20th, 2023
- Kings vs Wild Betting Odds Preview: Sharp Offense Meets Steely Defense