New York City FC Betting Stats

New York City FC Betting Stats
New York City FC

General Information

New York

Yankee Stadium

Championships:

Championships: 2021

U. S Open Cup: N/A

CONCACAF: N/A

Standings

Leaders

New York City FC Stats & History

When Red Bull bought the MetroStars in 2006 they inadvertently led to the creation of NYCFC. In that deal, the New York Red Bulls waived the right to control the New York media market to the MLS. So, in 2010 MLS commissioner Don Garber announced the league’s desire to have another team in the New York area by 2013.

Manchester City announced a partnership with the Yankees in 2013 to put up the $100 million required to own a franchise. The team was named New York City FC and would begin playing in MLS in 2015. They generated a lot of buzz with the signings of European stars David Villa, Andrea Pirlo, and Frank Lampard.

In their inaugural season, NYCFC failed to make the playoffs but Villa was a standout performer. After head coach Jason Kreis was fired and replaced by Patrick Vieira, the team’s fortunes turned around. They finished second in the Eastern Conference, managing a first playoff appearance in the NYCFC team stats. Villa scored 23 goals and won the MLS MVP award.

NYCFC followed up their impressive 2016 season with another second-place finish in the conference in 2017. Columbus Crew knocked out NYCFC 4-3 on aggregate in the Conference semifinals, though. In 2018, after a third-place finish in the East, NYCFC was knocked out in the Conference semis for a third straight year.

MLS - Betting News

New York City FC Team Records

In 2019, they were the regular season Eastern Conference champions but, as fate would have it, they lost in the Conference semis. In a COVID-impacted 2020 season, NYCFC finished in fifth in the conference and played in their first-ever CONCACAF Champions League. They reached the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League and the MLS is a Back tournament. 

Valentin Castellanos led the New York City FC team stats in 2021 with 19 goals and was the MLS Golden Boot winner. New York City FC finally got past the Conference semifinals that season, as well. NYCFC defeated Atlanta United 2-0 in the first round and beat Supporters’ Shield winners New England on penalties in the Conference semis. In their first Eastern Conference final, NYCFC took down Philadelphia Union 2-1.

Castellanos scored the game-tying goal vs. Portland Timbers in the MLS Cup final. NYCFC pulled off the upset in Portland as they won in penalties to secure their first-ever MLS Cup title. Among the favorites to win again in 2022, their MLS odds were +600 in late July. 

Sound betting advice should note that Castellanos transferred to another Manchester City-affiliated club, Girona FC. So, they may face an uphill battle replacing his goalscoring.

FAQs

When did New York City FC win the MLS Cup?

New York City FC made a run to the MLS Cup final in 2021 and defeated the Portland Timbers in penalty kicks.

Does Manchester City own New York City FC?

City Football Group, Manchester City’s parent company, owns an 80 percent stake in New York City FC. Frank Lampard and Jack Harrison have played for both clubs. The other 20 percent is owned by Yankee Global Enterprises.

Do NYCFC play at Yankee Stadium?

Yes, NYCFC play at Yankee Stadium as of 2022. The stadium, designed for baseball, has a shorter field than most when converted into a soccer field.
Back to top button

Bet like a PRO!

Thanks

Subscribe now and get Weekly Expert Free Picks