- Tigers eyeing a third straight win against division-leading Cleveland
- Tigers vs Guardians Game Information
- Tigers vs Guardians Probable Pitching Matchup
- Baddoo getting in a groove for the Tigers
- Quantrill is on a roll for the Guardians
- Who's Hot
- Who's Not
- Tigers vs Guardians Injury Update
- Tigers vs Guardians Betting Preview
Tigers Eyeing Third Straight Win against Division-Leading Cleveland
It’s been a while, but the Detroit Tigers are a win away from capturing a series. Detroit has lost its last five series since taking two of three from the San Diego Padres. The Tigers vs Guardians Game Odds aren’t in favor of the Tigers wrapping up the series on Wednesday.
After dropping the MLB series opener, the Tigers topped Cleveland by scores of 7-5 and 4-3. It is the first time Detroit has won consecutive games since winning the final two games in a series against the Chicago White Sox in July. Cleveland now only leads the American League Central Division standings by one game over the White Sox and the Minnesota Twins.
When looking at the Cleveland Guardians’ odds, they are still favored to win the division title at +115 followed by Chicago (+160) and Minnesota (+250).
When looking at the MLB schedule for 2022, a huge series with the White Sox is up next for Cleveland.
Tigers vs Guardians Game Information
- Matchup: Tigers 45-74 (fifth in the AL Central) Guardians 62-55 (first in the AL Central)
- Location: Progressive Field, Cleveland
Tigers vs Guardians Probable Pitching Matchup
Detroit: Daniel Norris (0-4, 5.97 ERA) Cleveland: Cal Quantrill (9-5, 3.67 ERA)
Baddoo in Groove for Tigers
One of the highlights for the Tigers a season ago was the emergence of outfielder Akil Baddoo who hit .259 with 20 doubles, seven triples, and 13 home runs after being picked in the Rule 5 Draft.
Year two in Detroit has been significantly more challenging. He was hitting .130 heading into August. He already has more hits (11) in August than he had coming into the month. He had two hits in Tuesday’s 4-3 win and that was a third multi-hit game in the month. That recent hot streak could factor into the Tigers vs Guardians Game Odds.
He is batting .400 over the last seven games and for a team that has scored the fewest runs and has the fewest home runs in the majors, having Baddoo finally healthy and hitting again is a huge plus.
Quantrill on Roll for Guardians
With the starting pitching staff led by 20-somethings, there will inevitably be peaks and valleys. The good news heading into Wednesday’s series finale is that Cal Quantrill is most certainly trending in the right direction.
Quantrill, who also has a career-high nine wins this season, has allowed four hits and no runs with 11 strikeouts and one walk over 13 innings in his last two starts. Opposing batters are hitting .093 against Quantrill in those two games as he picked up wins No. 8 and 9. With Quantrill going on Wednesday, it is no wonder that the Tigers vs Guardians Game odds favor host Cleveland.
The Guardians have won the last seven games started by Quantrill and he has pitched into the sixth inning six times in those seven appearances.
- Kerry Carpenter, Tigers OF: Carpenter has homered in each of the last two games. He is 6 for 10 with five runs, three RBIs and two walks over his last three contests.
- Jason Foley, Tigers P: Foley hasn’t allowed a run in his last four appearances. He has given up three hits and struck out three in 4.1 innings during that stretch.
- Andres Giminez, Guardians IF: Although Giminez saw his nine-game hitting streak come to an end on Tuesday, he is hitting .432 with two doubles, two home runs, and six RBIs in his last 10 games.
- Sam Hentges, Guardians P: Hentges hasn’t allowed a run in his last 10 outings. He has struck out 13 in 12.1 innings during that stretch.
- Jeimer Candelario, Tigers IF: Candelario is 1 for 27 with nine strikeouts over his last eight games.
- Eli Morgan, Guardians P: Morgan has a 9.82 ERA over his last four outings with seven hits and three home runs allowed in 3.2 innings of work.
- Wily Peralta, Tigers P: Peralta has allowed seven hits and walked four in five innings during the month of August. He has a 5.40 ERA in August.
- Myles Straw, Guardians OF: Straw is 1 for 29 over his last eight games as his average dropped from .218 to .205.
Tigers vs Guardians Injury Update
For the Tigers, outfielder-infielder Willi Castro and infielder Wenceel Perez are day-to-day.
Cleveland’s first baseman Josh Naylor is also day to day with an ankle injury. Naylor has four of the 14 home runs Cleveland has hit against the Tigers this season. Pitcher Cody Morris is out indefinitely.
Tigers vs Guardians Betting Preview
When a team is fighting to stay in first place in a division where the non-division winner isn’t guaranteed to secure a playoff spot, losing a series to the last-place Tigers is simply not acceptable. The fact that the series is at home against one of the worst road teams in the majors makes it even worse.
The good news is Quantrill has been pitching at an elite level and the Guardians will be favored to earn a split of the four-game series. He’ll be facing player Daniel Norris who didn’t allow a run in 4.2 innings in his first game back with the Tigers after a recent trade with the Chicago Cubs.
Cleveland had won nine straight games in the series before dropping the last two. Each of the last nine matchups between Detroit and Cleveland has been decided by three runs or less with eight of the last 10 games having fewer than 10 runs scored.
The total has gone under in 10 of Detroit’s last 12 road games while the total has also gone under in six of Cleveland’s last eight games. The total for this game of 7.5 is tied for the third lowest among Wednesday’s full slate of contests.Follow us on Twitter