A Pair of Last-Place Teams Heading In Different Directions Going into Series
When the 2023 schedule came out, having the Washington Nationals sitting in last place in late August would not be a surprise. Seeing the New York Yankees in the cellar as well was not part of the plan. When looking at the Nationals vs Yankees preview, Washington is playing its best baseball of the season right now with the Yankees going into the series with the longest active losing streak in the majors.
The Nationals are 28-32 on the road this season with the Yankees 35-31 at home.
The last time the teams met, the Yankees won two of the three games in the 2021 season even though the Nationals outscored the Yankees 16-11. Eight of the last 10 games between the teams finished under the total. Both of the MLB matchups that finished over were won by the Nationals.
The Yankees are priced at -170 to win the series opener.
Since the MLB All-Star Game, the Nationals are 21-14 and the Yankees are 11-22 with only the Oakland Athletics having won fewer games than the preseason favorites to win the AL East title.
Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY
Streaming: MASN, YES
Probable Starting Pitchers
- Tuesday: Josiah Gray (Nationals) vs Carlos Rodon (Yankees)
- Wednesday: MacKenzie Gore (Nationals) vs Luis Severino (Yankees)
- Thursday: Patrick Corbin (Nationals) vs To Be Announced (Yankees)
The Washington Nationals are 10th in the majors with a .261 batting average in the month of August.
Leading the way are catchers Keibert Ruiz and Riley Adams. They are a combined 29-for-84 with nine doubles, four home runs and 16 RBIs to become one of the most productive catching tandems in the majors during that stretch when looking at the MLB stats leaders.
Keep that in mind when looking at the Nationals vs Yankees preview. They hit .235 with 30 extra-base hits before the MLB All-Star Game so their increased offensive production has helped with Washington’s second-half surge.
Looking to Pitch In
There are plenty of issues that have caused the Yankees to sink to the bottom of the American League East Division standings.
The pitching woes have played a significant role in a 5-13 record in August. The team ERA in the month is 5.27 with 27 home runs allowed in 18 games.
Nine different New York pitchers have started at least one game in the month and that is part of the problem. Still, the Nationals vs Yankees preview favors the Yankees in the series opener. Gerrit Cole and Cole Schmidt lead the way with four starts each but they are given up 43 hits, 27 earned runs and seven home runs in the eight starts. Neither are expected to start in this series.
- Stone Garrett, Washington Nationals OF: Garrett has five multi-hit efforts in his last nine games. He is hitting .438 with seven runs, five doubles, two home runs and 11 RBIs during that stretch.
- Ian Hamilton, New York Yankees P: Hamilton has eight scoreless outings in his last 10 appearances. He has a 1.35 ERA with 23 strikeouts in 20 innings in those games.
- Hunter Harvey, Washington Nationals P: Harvey has allowed four hits and no runs with five hits over six innings in his last six outings.
- Anthony Volpe, New York Yankees SS: Volpe is batting .333 with four extra-base hits and four RBIs over his last six games.
- Harrison Bader, New York Yankees OF: Bader is hitting .111 with seven strikeouts during the Yankees’ eight-game losing streak.
- Josiah Gray, Washington Nationals P: Gray has surrendered 15 hits and 14 runs with 12 strikeouts and eight walks in 11.1 innings in his last three starts.
- Luis Severino, New York Yankees P: Severino is 0-4 with an ERA of 14.18 ERA over his last four starts. Severino has allowed at least one home run in his last eight appearances.
- Ildemaro Vargas, Washington Nationals IF: Vargas has two hits in his last 21 at-bats over the last six games.
Nationals vs Yankees Injury Update
Pitcher MacKenzie Gore left his last start with a blister. He is expected to be cleared to start on Wednesday for the Nationals.
For the Yankees, pitcher Carlos Rodon is expected to be activated off the injured list and start the series opener. First baseman Anthony Rizzo and third baseman Josh Donaldson are on the injured list.
Nationals vs Yankees Betting Preview
The Yankees have been outscored 51-20 during the eight-game losing streak. The Nationals are 6-2 over the last eight games despite a +1 run differential.
The total has gone under in six of Washington’s last eight road games and well as in eight of the last 10 matchups with the Yankees on the road. Five of the last seven games played by the Yankees went over the total.
When it comes to the MLB game times, the Washington pitching staff has allowed the most home runs in the majors in day games.
Washington has covered in 38 of the 60 road games this season with the Yankees 30-36 against the spread at home.
The Yankees are 38-33 as the favorite this season and 18-26 at the underdog. The Nationals have won seven of the nine games when listed as the favorite.
Can’t get enough? Here’s more!
- Rockies vs Tampa Bay Rays Betting Preview: Tampa Huge Favorites Over Colorado
- Blue Jays vs Orioles Series Preview: Toronto’s Health Vital for AL East
- Dodgers vs Guardians Betting Odds: Cleveland’s Season Likely Beyond Saving
- Marlins vs Padres Betting Odds: Miami Needing to Get Back on Track
- Rangers vs Diamondbacks Betting Odds Preview