Texans vs Colts NFL Odds: Houston Slightest of Favorites

Teams Meet Saturday Night With Playoff Berth at Stake

The Houston Texans visit the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday with the winner advancing to the playoffs. It could be as a wild card team or as a division champion, depending on what Jacksonville does Sunday. But it’s as good as it gets in the NFL for a final week game. The Texans vs Colts NFL odds are showing Houston as a slim 1.5-point favorite, with the total on the game at 47.5 points.

Texans logo Texans vs Colts Colts logo

Day/Time:
Location: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana
Streaming: Watch Live Sports

Houston Welcomes Back Stroud

CJ Stroud returned to the line-up for Houston last week. The rookie quarterback was a bit rusty. But he still threw for 213 yards and a touchdown as the Texans cruised past Tennessee 26-3. He might have to do a little more against the Colts. Still, it was a shot in the arm for a team that struggled a bit in the passing game without him.

Uncover Exclusive Picks & Predictions From Our Experts.

The Texans are very much alive in the NFL playoff brackets. But it’s come down to this one game. Asking a rookie quarterback to win on the road in what is essentially a playoff game, is a tall order. But Stroud has shown a lot of poise for a first-year NFL player. Although now, the pressure is really on.

For the season, the Texans are averaging 22.1 points per game. Houston throws for 245.4 yards per game. But the rushing attack gains just 99.2 yards per game and 3.8 yards per carry. The Texans throw the ball 35.4 times and run 26 times per game.

While everybody talks about the Houston offense, the defense has done a decent job. The Texans are allowing 20.9 points per game. You’re not going to run against Houston, which allows 3.3 yards per carry and 88.5 yards per game.

The pass defense is a little suspect. Houston is allowing 240.4 yards per game and 7.1 yards per pass attempt. That has to improve, but this is an NFL team that was 3-13-1 last season.

Minshew Has Colts on Verge of Playoffs

Everybody remembers how bad the Texans were last year. But it’s easy to forget the Colts weren’t much better at 4-12-1. Indianapolis finished all of one NFL game in front of Houston. But the Colts have also turned things around this year, and Gardner Minshew has been a big part of that.

The Colts signed Minshew to a one-year free-agent deal before drafting Anthony Richardson. The team knew if Richardson wasn’t ready, Minshew would be a solid option. But Richardson was ready and began the season as Indianapolis’ starter.

But after a season-ending injury, Minshew has stepped in and led the Colts to a 7-5 record as a starter. He’s thrown for 3,164 yards, 15 TDs, and nine interceptions.

The Colts are averaging 23.6 points per game. Indianapolis runs for 114.5 yards per game and passes for 220.8 yards. The Colts run the ball 27.6 times per game and throw 34.4 times. Indianapolis may throw more against Houston since the Texans are tough to run against.

The defense hasn’t been that good, allowing 24.5 points to teams averaging just 20.5 points per game. Indianapolis doesn’t stop the run or the pass particularly well. The Colts aren’t horrible at either, but they are a little below average against the pass and the run.

What to Expect

There’s a lot riding on this game for both teams. Whoever wins will have completed a remarkable turnaround in short order. The Texans may be slight favorites, but the NFL playoff odds have the Colts as slight favorites.

The Colts are -130 to make the playoffs and even money to miss. The Texans are even money to advance and -130 to miss. ESPN gives The Colts a 53% chance of making the playoffs. The Texans have a 47% chance.

Expect both teams to come out throwing. Houston doesn’t run the ball especially well. But the Texans are tough when it comes to stopping the run. That should lead to Indianapolis throwing a bit more than usual. The game is going to come down to which quarterback delivers under pressure.

Who to Bet On?

The Texans vs Colts NFL odds have this game essentially a toss-up. But it’s not an easy call. Both teams have some positives and some negatives entering the game. That makes it challenging to use this game as one of your NFL picks against the spread.

The Texans vs Colts NFL odds on the total appear to have a little more value. With both teams throwing the ball plenty, that could bode well for the over. The Colts are 11-5 in totals this season. But the Texans are 6-10-1. Still, the over is likely the best play to make here.

For NFL betting news, NFL Sunday schedule, and more, visit Point Spreads Sports Magazine.


Can’t get enough? Here’s more!

Back to top button

pointspreads

WHO WILL WIN?

Ligue 1
monaco
Monaco
PSG
PSG
Friday, March 1, 2024
50%
50%
La Liga
valencia
Valencia
Real Madrid
Real Madrid
Saturday, March 2, 2024
50%
50%
UFC Fight Night
rozenstruik
Rozenstruik
Gaziev
Gaziev
Saturday, March 2, 2024
50%
50%
Submit your vote and view the results
Hey Again

vote all you can

pointspreads

PS-email

PS-email

pointspreads

pointspreads-email

Bet like a PRO!

pointspreads-email

Subscribe now and get Weekly Expert Free Picks